Thursday, August 15, 2013

AMAZING ALACRITY

So we're coming off a loss.  Toronto was a closed door experience as far as gaining any safe lodging in churches was concerned.  Too dangerous.  What denomination you from?--We're not that.  I can't make a decision (as if the decision to help another pastor was too risky).  I was still disruntled and whiney when I entered the Cartona Goodies in Port Hope, Ontario.   Nevertheless, grace reminds us that things can turn around.






I no sooner had slid into a chair in a local cafe when the Asian owner, Tony, and his wife--and cook-- Carman, and their daughter, and the head waiter (the only waiter) Kanen, came over to welcome me.  They smiled when Tony said, we have been opened for two months.  

During the next two hours each of them showed such over-the-top care and kind attention to me that it was as if God had stuck me back in the story with the three strangers for whom Abraham threw caution to the wind in his attempt to welcome and show them hospitality.  He treated the strangers as if they were angels.  (Actually, they were even more than angels.)

More coffee sir?  The sign may say only one refill, but you can have as many as you want.  And when I orded Meso soup, the crew made up a fresh batch of the Japanese delicacy because, according to Tony, Miso doesn't taste as good unless it is freshly made.  

We have wifi, please use it as long as you want.   So I decided to make Cartona Goodies my office for the day.  Three hours in my office time and Tony put on his artist-hat and proudly showed me the pictures that hung on the walls of his cafe.  These are all local artists, Tony began with the relish of a Louvre curator.  The one with the three flowers was painted by a fifteen-year old.  And the one above it was done by an octegenarian.   Tony, the restauranteur, the art museum lecturer, the proud family guy had unknowingly lifted my spirits and put me in touch with generosity.  I had been stuck on stinginess, God brought me back to generosity through another specially-sent friend.

And when you leave, please, you can have any food we don't sell.  

Thanks, Tony  



3 comments:

  1. Wow. What a big, kink, and hospitable heart. I'll take two of that, please!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That should be 'kind' heart :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Makes one ask: Would Jesus be more welcome in a restaurant or a church today?

    ReplyDelete